Running a business is no easy feat – even with a good night’s sleep – but it’s definitely easier with a full eight hours. When you’re sleeping well and feeling great, daily tasks are do-able and creative thinking comes naturally. When you’re sleep-deprived and tired, the smallest of tasks become the greatest of hassles, and it’s a fact that productivity decreases.
With a balanced lifestyle, a healthy diet, exercise and most importantly, enough sleep, you’ll easily avoid the dreaded ‘burn out’ too. Running a business on little-to-no sleep is not sustainable, and while you might think pushing through the night to get things done is the admirable thing to do, all-nighters are not conducive to clear thinking or good business.
Here’s why a good night’s sleep is essential for good business…
- Sleep deficiency is linked to chronic health problems like diabetes, stroke, obesity and heart disease, and you can’t run a business if you’re not healthy (or dead). A good night’s sleep is the easiest way to power through your day and keep your health in check.
- Sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of injury in the workplace, so if you want to run a safe and happy workplace, get that good quality shut-eye.
- Poor sleep can make you fat. Yep, you read that right. Every wondered why you crave that 3pm chocolate after only five hours’ sleep the night before? When you’re tired, your body craves quick pick-me-up sugary foods and unhealthy options for a buzz. Unhealthy choices mean a foggy mind, and we all know what impact that has on business.
- The less you sleep, the less you get done. It’s counter-intuitive to pull big days and late nights, thinking that you can squeeze more into one day, but eventually, it all catches up with you. The next day is always, always, slower and far less productive. When you’re sleeping well and getting enough of it, your concentration is increased, and your productivity levels are high.
- The more sleep you get, the more energy you have, which means you’re more inclined to exercise, and exercise is just as important in a healthy work/life balance. Healthy mind, healthy body, good business.
- When you’re well rested, your immune system is strong, and you’re more likely to fend off the flu that would otherwise need a few sick days off.
- Sleep deprivation leads to muddled decision making, and when you’re running a business, you need the best mind possible, lots of energy, and a clear head for good thoughts and good business decisions.
The easiest way to get the beauty sleep you need is easier than you might think too. Just like establishing a healthy diet or an exercise routine, good sleep hygiene is something you have to work at. Try cutting out caffeine after 2pm, switching off and stepping away from your screen and phone at least an hour before bed, invest in a good quality pillow, and write your lists before bed – so you don’t stay awake thinking about them.